Wednesday, November 11, 2009

a new office



I have successfully completed two days in my new place of learning. Newport News is a very different place from anything I have experienced. As soon as you leave the interstate, it's as if you have entered a new country. When they built the shipyard, I guess they forgot about parking because the surrounding area only contains 3 things: privately owned parking lots, 7-11s, and run-down buildings. I have been told not to attend the shipyard after dark as it is dangerous. I have shifted my schedule to account for the parking demand. I leave my house shortly before 6, join a carpool, and arrive around 630. I sit in a dungeon-esque room that has 4 empty desks, one window (which looks out to some hazmat building), and 4 file cabinets. That's it. No pictures on the walls, nothing. I longer have a computer which makes me more efficient. I sit and study for 8ish straight hours, then leave.
I included the above pictures because when I go outside for a break these are the two ships I see. They are, from left to right, the USS George HW Bush (41st President) and the USS Carl Vinson (Representitive from GA) . They're real big.
I haven't been home since September. I'm looking forward to Blacksburg. And turkey. I won't go into my love affair with Thanksgiving now.

No comments:

Post a Comment