Thursday, July 30, 2009

A memorable trip

I know you were worried but I am safely back in the US of A. Everything came back well except my large intestine. I won't include details here. Peru is such a great place. I already have a list of things I want to go back to Peru to do. I want to hike the Andes, see the jungle, visit Machu Pichu, swim in Lake Titicaca, visit Lima, and spend more time with the people of Peru. Every day, no. Every minute was an adventure. I never knew what to expect next. If you know me at all, you know I am a terrible planner and make life up as I go along. I will go ahead and apologize for every time this has adversely effected your life.




One of my favorite parts of Peru was hanging out in the front seat of the bus we used to get around town. I hung out with the driver, Ilias, who didn't speak english. Here he is in action. I conversed with him in spanish all week. Since I learn well by asking questions, I pestered Ilias with questions about everything I could think of/saw outside. Thankfully Ilias was patient, understanding and always willing to teach. I learned alot of spanish and even more about Peru throughout our trips.

I was in Trujillo, Peru's third largest city. Trujillo has a population of a little under 1,000,000 and is located in the Andean rainshadow and is thus a desert. It was cloudy almost every day as the dry clouds from the mountains settle over the desert. So while a desert (0.5 inches of rain per year) the air is continuously damp. It was winter in Trujillo and since it is located at about 8 degrees south latitude, it never really gets below 50 F. At left is the cloudline above Trujillo with the Andes poking through. How crazy would it be to be on top of one of those mountains?
All the paper in the world couldn't contain all the stories I have from Peru. That is not true. They could. But this blog would be real long if I did that. I promise I will discuss the trip in as much depth as you desire the next time we converse. Until then, I hope you are having a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment