Monday, January 18, 2010

Post-Christmas Adventures

Last time I left you on the edge of your seat, wondering what I did after Christmas. Well, the long-awaited answer is here. Back in the fall, my friend Jake and I decided to go on a hiking trip. Let me give you some background because You're probably thinking, "Scott doesn't hike. He might hurt himself." Well, you're right. But I miss the mountains. They are gorgeous and I don't get to enjoy them very often so I figured a good hike would do me well. Jake and I planned to go 60 miles in 4 days which was more ambitious than I realized. Fortunately it snowed 2 feet and we had to cancel that trip. I decided to do 19 miles in 1.5 days. I thought it would be easy. I was wrong. Turns out I need some better hiking boots. After mile 12 my feet were hurting badly. My friend Todd decided to come with me which was a good idea. It was great for us to share what was happening in each other's lives. We saw some great views including the one above at McAfee's Knob and the icicles in a creek. Other pictures are on facebook. I also got to test out my 15 degree sleeping bag as it got down to 12 degrees overnight. I am happy to report that my Big Agnes bag kept me nice and toasty.

After surviving the wilderness, I spent another day in Blacksburg hanging out with great friends before returning toward Norfolk. I say toward because I stopped to enjoy the Hokies play football and spend New Year's eve with some college buddies. I must say the Hokies played well. Stinespring wasn't a complete idiot, our defense played well, and Tyrod didn't disappoint me. It is always good to see close friends you don't see very often. The party was out in the sticks which is just my style. I got to ride a 4 wheeler, play a little cornhole, and my buddy Michael let me play with his whip. I had a blast. That's all for now.

1 comment:

  1. Clint and I got engaged at McAfee's Knob. It's great to see a picture!

    ReplyDelete