Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Evolution




The playoffs are over. The Flyers lost in game 6 in overtime. I'm proud of the Flyers and happy for Chicago. They played well the entire series and I am happy that I got to grow my fiercest beard yet. I even got to have some fun after the series was over. I have included some pictures.

It was a great series and I'm excited that hockey continues to gain in popularity. I hope ESPN picks up the NHL next year. That needs to happen. In other hockey news, my team and I have lost a few games in shootouts lately. We still get a point for going to a shootout, but we need wins.

Dad was in town 2 weeks ago for a golf weekend. He brought 2 of his golfing buddies down which gave me an excuse to test out some of the areas better courses. I am pleased with what I saw. I don't have any golfing friends here so I will not be playing on those courses again anytime soon, but it was fun.

I think this sums up the next few weeks of work. I have my first 8 hour exam next Thursday and the other one July 8. No doubt I will be spending more hours at work trying to cram everything there is about submarine engine rooms into my small head. I will have 2 breaks in studying. First, joining Dad and my sisters in the Outer Banks for a few days and Blacksburg for July 4th to celebrate my friend David's wedding.

One story before I leave you. I see some ridiculous things on the way to work. My school is in the south end of Newport News, which can be a tough part of town. So as I walk to work, I admit that I avoid some groups of people at the bus station. I shy away from awkward conversations. So I was doing just that last week, almost at the front gate, when I hear the following:
"Are you prepared for the snow?" I stop. It's June, it's 75 degrees at 7 am and I'm confused. I look as a 6'3" slender man with long hair anticipates my answer. I think for a second for a valid reason as to why he asked me that. I look at my feet. I'm wearing flip flops. Maybe he's making a joke. I point at my feet and say, "I guess not." I begin to walk away when I hear, "Wouldn't it be crazy if we got 4 feet of snow today?" Now I'm really confused. "I think that would be awesome." I do love snow. I continue to walk away hoping he's done. Nope. "The whole Commonwealth of Virginia would shut down if we got that much snow." I spent the rest of the day confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment