Sunday, February 15, 2009

President's day is sweet

I hope your President's Day weekend is going well, I'm real glad uncle sam decided to let me not work tomorrow night. I only have 4 more days (hopefully) of night shift this week. Work has been more tolerable this past week as my roomate has joined my shift as well as there is more going on for me to watch. If you haven't figured it out, I do alot of standing around watching how things work so after training I don't screw up. I guess it's working because I got to witness my first "spill" this week. That means that possibly contaminated water leaked from somewhere. Good job guys.

Also this week, I received the nickname "pimpin" from one of the 3 normal members of the boat. Maybe I'm alone, but that might be the highlight of my career. If you read last week's post (below) I mentioned a few interesting people I work with. The supervisor who sweats alot has now been given the nickname "Sweats". I hope he quits smoking soon or he is in for some trouble. Fortunately, I haven't seen knife guy so maybe he got the help he needed. I still get to contend with "boat smell", which consists of BO and food that has been left out too long. This boat experience is far from the SNL digital short from last week.

I'm excited about this coming weekend, as I will be attending Trinity's (my church) Inquirer's weekend. This is a required step for membership at Trinity, which is definately something I'm pursuing. When looking for a church when I moved down here, I was looking for a church that not only clearly conveys who Jesus is and what he has done for a broken man like me, but also had a focus for local as well as international missions. After participating in service to Norfolk's homeless as well as tutoring a 5th grader who doesn't have the same oppurtunities I did, Trinity is definately focused on helping the people of Norfolk escape poverty. As for internationaly missions, I am considering a Peru trip for medical/educational missions.

I can't resist, I must tell one story from tutoring. I hung out with this guy named Shaun while he did his social studies homework. Specifically, he was studying notable black men and women for Black History Month. Needless to say I am no expert on black history, which I learned quickly when I didn't know who some of the people Shaun was studying were. Humble pie slice #1. As part of his homework, he had to fill out index cards with information on different people. He wrote "Deshaunte" at the top of one of his cards. I asked him who Deshaunte was and he looked at me like I was insane and said that was his name. Apparently Shaun is a nickname. Outsmarted by a 5th grader. Humber pie slice #2.

It has been an eventful week. If you would like to learn more about my church, click here. I hope you are doing well and I look forward to talking with you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment