Friday, September 11, 2009

VPP

You may be asking yourself, "What is VPP?" That stands for Voluntary Protection Program, a joint effort between the DoD and OSHA to improve workplace safety. The way that is played out at my work is through a packet. I have a packet where I have to get signitures in order to be VPP certified. Sounds good right? Not really. I rarely rant about stuff, but here I go.

Now you may be thinking I hate safety. False. I think that safety is paramount in the workplace and not only are injuries bad for the individual, but the cost of lost time and medical expenses hurt the company. Now, things that are dumb about VPP:

1) It is called Voluntary Protection Program, but it isn't voluntary. It is mandatory that everyone participate.

2) Those that give signitures get credit for having employees VPP certified. This prevents accountability of those higher-ups. Yay corruption!

3) Are there really office related safety hazards? Carpal Tunnel? Really? Tripping on a rug?

4) I get $200 for completing this program. That should be great right? In a time where the economy is slumping, is a bonus for a worthless program a good use of taxpayer money? I think not.

I think I'm done with my rant now. Have a sweet day.

No comments:

Post a Comment