Sunday, March 22, 2009

A great week in sports

This past week has been fun. It is always good to see the beginning of March Madness come together with great games to watch. This week was also the first Bristol nascar race of the season and although I didn't watch it, I get excited for it.

My trip to Blacksburg was fantastic last weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with my family, especially my sister Bam, her husband Clint, and their great kids Connor and Jenna. I got to play with them and I didn't have to change a diaper! That's win-win. I also got to see many great friends, both current hokies and hokie alumni. If I was fortunate enough to see your smiling face last weekend, thanks so much for making my weekend awesome!

I realized this week that I forgot to mention a fun item about Sweats. If you recall previous blog entries, Sweats is the guy I work with who sweats perfusely, no matter the ambient temperature or effort exherted on his part. Sweats has a habit of playing games during work. This is not abnormal for government employees, but this is a middle aged man who is playing the game known to most as Taipei, where the object is to match tiles which are in a stack. The game has very childlike colors such as bright greens, pinks, yellows and oranges. When asked why he chose this game, he told me about how his daughter plays an online child version of the Sims, and by playing this game he earns points for her so she can purchase new virtual clothes, houses, cars, etc. Picture now a man at a shipyard playing a game designed for an 11 year old girl. Now laugh appropriately.

I also learned this week that government employees do not recognize the name Uncle Sam. Apparently he is known as Uncle Sugar, because of his habit of giving me money every two weeks. So if I ever mention a man named Uncle Sugar, I am not referring to some creepy uncle who you have never met.

I have now decided to make what is known as a blog flashback. This feature will appear about once a month. It is with regards to things that have happened in the distant past in my life which are extremely funny. This week's blog flashback is Leonard, the fellow who I spent a summer working with on air conditioners. For those of you who haven't heard of Leonard, he is about 55 with long hair and a head-turning gotee. He smoked all the time and since we were a two man team, I got to hang out with him while he smoked. Moral of the story, if you don't smoke, smoke breaks are super lame.

1 comment:

  1. Yo! So I guess the folks that didn't go to VT don't get shout outs???

    ReplyDelete